Emu Farm Requirments & Farm Details
Land requirements for emu are minimal and important.Emus can be successfully raised in small pens or in group.Our birds are in 3 acres. Red soil and sandy lands are well suited for the growth of emu's.Leave as much natural vegetation as possible for shade.
10x100 is adequate. The pens can be laid out in rows it's a matter of personal preference on the part of the farmer. Having breeder pens is necessary if you plan on keeping up with genetics, fertility rates or selling livestock. This size pen is large enough to run either a pair or a three.
5 to 10 pair are good as a Group. There is No way to keep up with genetics, laying or fertility records. However, it is a more natural environment for the birds and some farmers run colony pens as maintainence becomes easy for the farmer.
Emu's are also know as fence walkers they got the name because they used to walk around the fence .Fencing can be chain link or bamboo sticks that depends on the farmer investment. Mostly we use chain link asit is safe and strong. A Healthy emu can jump up to 6 feet from the ground so it's better to keep fence 7 feet height. You should not allow any spaces between the fence where the bird could stick it head.
Chicks below 3 months need good shleter,air cirulation and heat lamps in night so that the come and sleep together under the lamp for heat. During day time we leave them out if the climate is supporting.chicks above the age of 3 months prefer to sleep under the trees even in nights and rain.
- Keep the environment clean especially feed and water as they are the main sourse to get diseases.
- Keep generator in case power supply is not available.Chicks need bruding during the night.
- Encourage chicks to do exercise whenever possible.
- Keep a medical kit on hand and veternairy Doctor's phone number.(+919550457799)
- Monitor chicks daily for health problems, injuries, etc. Legs and backs should be straight. Watch them run, are the legs crossing? Knock kneed? Are the chicks clear eyed and perky?
- use smooth surfaces because when they run chick could slip and wind up with splayed legs.
- Use a deep watering pan as they get down into the water and drink the same water so they may attack diseases.
- Keep needle,bottles away as they swallow it .
- Put more number of chicks in a room as they get on one another and may die.